Saturday, March 5, 2011

Juxtapositions 1: Modern Life in the Capital

Upon leaving Mazabuka amid the protests, store closures and the general sense of unease, I came to Lusaka for a long weekend. My friends Helen and Dan have been generous hosts on short notice. It's always a pleasure to spend time with them.

I spent Friday morning at the VSO office catching up on some correspondence, updating my computer and informing the VSO staff about the situation in Mazabuka. In the afternoon, I went to the clinic for an overdue check-up (all fine), and then off to the mall to replace my decaying dress shoes (the uneven pavements and muddy roads have badly abused my shoes!) I tried setting up an appointment to see Habitat for Humanity, but seeing as it was short notice on a Friday, I got nowhere with that request.

As I sat at the mall enjoying a delicious cup of mocha java at Mugg & Bean, I couldn't help but think that this felt like such another world from the one I'd left the day before. A shiny new mall, a western-style coffee shop, and several styles of shoe to choose from...

Manda Hill reopened in November after a major renovation.  Could be the Eaton Centre.
 



Not so different from Loblaws

1 comment:

  1. Great to see your photos and that you're well. But the shoes. Where are the photos of the new shoes? :)

    ReplyDelete