Thursday, March 3, 2011

Evacuated

Unfortunately, the situation in Mazabuka has escalated.  The police were out again today allegedly looking for the protesters in the Nakambala neighbourhood.

This morning, my VSO Country Director wrote me an email asking how I felt about staying/leaving, and as I wrote my response to her, I heard new gun shots.  And then some machine gun fire.  The Deputy Director and I subsequently decided it was time to close the office and send everyone home.  As we were leaving, a new crowd started to gather around the police station which is quite literally a stone's throw (or perchance a bullet's trajectory?) from our office.  I understand there were at least two more deaths today.

While I probably wouldn't have been in any real danger by staying in my house, I took the first offer of a ride and came to Lusaka to chill out for a few days... with my passport, just in case.  I would never have expected this excitement.  I am safe, but I hope and pray that the violence ceases soon.

2 comments:

  1. do you know if mazabuka is safe to transit now? I am planning to leave lusaka for livingstone tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm back in town - it's all fine now.

    ReplyDelete